It's been 6 years since Kirk and I were in DC for our internships. We got to go again in October for a few days with our dear friends, the Riska's, and had a WONDERFUL time. It was a much needed break. The next two photos are of the memorial at the Pentagon. I believe it was finished the fall right after we left in 2006 so this was our first time to see it. It was so sacred and really neat. I don't think the pictures do it justice, but there are little bench like figures with running water under each one, for each person that died on that plane. When you look at it across the lawn, it looks like waves on an ocean, and sounds like it too! It was such a special experience and we are grateful for those who have sacrificed to make sure something like that hasn't happened again!
Here you can see the benches, looking somewhat like waves.
Saturday was my favorite day! We rode bikes all over DC. You can see the Washington Monument in the back behind us. Our hotel was within walking distance of the Pentagon and we rode bikes straight to the Jefferson memorial!
Christina and I had a great time together while the boys worked. We shopped, ate out, and relaxed!
On our bike ride, heading towards all the monuments.
Here we are at the Thomas Jefferson memorial. It is a very reverent memorial and people are so quiet and subdued. The sign that asks for reverence certainly helps!
Enjoying some delicious fresh seafood!
Here we are at the FDR Memorial
This was a new one we saw this year that wasn't there back in 2006. Martin Luther King was an amazing man!
We so enjoyed all the beautiful trees back East! The scenery was to die for!
Taking a break on the mall.
The Abraham Lincoln Memorial. He is so Huge, and majestic...it is wonderful to feel this near to the men who founded our great country!
Being a little silly:)
I can't believe this thing actually flew!
We didn't get to go in the capital, but we enjoyed riding around it! What a beautful sunset
We rode our bikes back home in the dark. It was such a special day, and I'm glad we did it by bike this time! What a fun experience. I totally recommend it to anyone!








No comments:
Post a Comment