Monday, March 29, 2010

My "Prison," The Present, & Carpe Diem!!!

Not much happening over here with us. Olivia is doing well and holding her own at this point. We are gearing up for another transfusion tomorrow back at Parkland, hoping she takes it as well as she did last week. I'll be back at Plano Presby Tuesday evening for monitoring for at least 48 hours, with the possibility of coming home if things go well!

Yesterday was a rough day, though there was much to be grateful for. Thank you to my home teachers for bringing me the sacrament. What a blessing it is that I can take the bread and water each week in remembrance of our Savior and what he did for ME. At times like this, the sacrament, and the atonement are more poignant for me and I am more grateful than ever for what He did.

Let's just say I cannot imagine being on bed rest back in the day without all the modern conveniences I've been blessed with like high speed Internet, phones, television, movies, music, etc. Not to mention all my wonderful visitors and the many other nice things I have here. It has caused me to reflect on the experiences of others who were imprisoned. At times, I feel like a prisoner here, but then I think about people like Joseph Smith and what it was like for him in prison. I was quickly chastened to be grateful that my "prison" is NOTHING like his.

I have also felt chastised for my ingratitude for the little things that we so often take for granted. I am more appreciative of the ability to be outside, breathing clean, fresh air, feeling a breeze on my face, and the sun on my skin...watching and listening to the birds, and admiring the green grass and beautiful flowers and trees. I am more appreciative of Kirk or Jackson waking me early in the morning, after sleeping through the whole night. I don't sleep very well here:) I am more appreciative of my freedom to go where I please, when I please. This has been hard, but I am ashamed for acting like it is as hard as I do. Life could be SO much worse! More than ever, one of my favorite quotes has stood out to me today, "Yesterday is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, that's why it's called the present." Carpe Diem everyone! May your day be wonderful and may you appreciate the little things that make life so wonderful!

2 comments:

M-Z-T said...

Keep it up Jess! Hugs!

The Lowe Family said...

I've been thinking about you all week. I will call you tomorrow. Hang in there Jess!