Friday, March 26, 2010

Good Reads and News

Bed Rest, though not ideal, has some definite perks. Here is what my day looks like: Sleep when I want (for the most part), eat when I want (and really good food too), read really good books including meaningful personal scripture study, catch up with family and friends through phone calls, e-mails, blogging, facebook, etc. have visitors over, watch movies and tv, journal, and I have some projects I can finally work on that I've been wanting to for years...like scrap booking. Thankfully, I can do it all digitally in my little room, without even making a mess! They are taking such good care of me here, and I LOVE my doctors, nurses and staff.

I went to see my specialist this morning and Olivia looked really good for a sick baby:) I discovered she was weighing in at 4 lbs. 3 oz. as of this past Monday! Not bad for a 30 week, 4 day old baby! This has been an answer to my prayers as I have been specifically praying that she would grow and develop faster than what is normal for her gestational age seeing as I knew she'd be early. Just think if she were a full term baby! And I'm not even a gestational diabetic! Amazing.

Here is a quickie book report on some of my reading material.

Finished this one on Tuesday before and after the transfusion. Holy Cow! I had started reading it a little bit ago but hadn't found time to finish or implement too much yet. The little pieces of advice I have implemented from this book with Jackson have turned him into a much more manageable two year old, and just in time for baby sissy to come. This book basically teaches how to teach your children using, just as the title suggests, Love and Logic. When we give our kids lots of choices, it's like putting a deposit in the bank so that when we need to win an argument (make a withdrawal) that REALLY matters, the kids are less likely to fight it. Can't say enough good things about this book!

I am almost done with this short read. What a powerful book that speaks to my heart, especially at this time. This is an inspiring book filled with insights for mothers. Cole talks about the importance of finding peace and contentment with our lot as mothers as well as joy in the here and now. Here is a little quote from the book to whet your appetites! Cole quotes Patricia Holland as saying, “Believe me when I tell you that God is a God of goodness, mercy, and justice. Ultimately, he cannot treat his righteous children differently. Whatever blessings you have gone without will be made up to you in divine and glorious fashion. I give you every assurance, they will be made up to you to the point where you will not be confident that God treated you fairly but embarrassed that he treated you so very generously.” What more need be said? This book is amazing!

3 comments:

Reeder Family said...

Jessica, that quote is just what I needed the hear. Thanks We are praying for you and little Olivia.

The Woods said...

Jess,
Oh bed rest in the hospital sounds really hard. I am glad you are making the best of it! I love Love and Logic and the more we stick with it, the better results we get with our little ones. I'll have to put the your other good read on my list. Rest well and take care of that baby!

Anna@Exasperation said...

We are praying, praying, praying over here! You're doing so well being positive and looking on the bright side of things!
We're always here to take Jackson anytime you need!!