Friday, January 28, 2011

I LOVE FOOD!!!

I have a passion for food.   I don't love making it as much as I LOVE eating it! Anyhow, lately I have found myself sharing some information about healthy foods and supplements, both with friends, and people that take my classes at the gym.  So, I decided to post on here as well, in case anyone is interested.   

Kirk's family is having a two-part Biggest Loser competition.  Some are trying to lose weight, and some are just trying to eat healthy.  I opted for the point system that is pushing me to eat healthy.  Here are our rules:
You get ONE point per day for:
~drinking 64 oz. of water
~exercise at least 30 min. 
~eating at least four servings of fruits and/or vegetables
~eating whole grains (not eating any white flour for the day)
You LOSE a point per day for:
~each serving of treats 
~each serving of sugar beverage (soda, juice (unless it is fresh squeezed), hot chocolate, chocolate milk.   Milk or fruit smoothies DO NOT count against you)
~each serving of junk food (whole grain chips, healthy granola bars, whole grain muffins, whole grain cereals DO NOT count against you)
~unhealthy eating out (ie, fried or really fatty stuff.   Salads, grilled or lean meat, and such DO NOT count against you).
It is based on a six day a week point system~ you have one day a week off, can use it Sunday, special occasion, or any day of the week you want.  A nice Sunday walk for at least 30min. counts as exercise for that day, if you use another day of the week to have off.

I am happy to report that though I don't have a perfect score, I have done fairly well.  The best part is eating no sweets for me.  It is really hard, but so good for me since I love my sweets!  We are doing this for six weeks.  Whoever gets the most points, wins the pot of money we all put money into!  

If anyone else is interested, you could try it too, though it would be for the sheer satisfaction of eating healthy and feeling great!  

More to come on Green smoothies and some supplements that we love! 

2 comments:

Jamie Dana said...

Good for you Jess. I like the rules because they include healthy eating and exercise. Maybe I will have to try it out...after the baby is born. My self-control vs. comfort right now are not on an even playing field (:

Anonymous said...

I did a very similar challenge last summer with Mom, my friend Hilary, and some of Hilary's friends. It was really good for me, and I did very well the first month. The second month I was in Australia and then at our family reunion, and, well...not as great.

I hate that I love sugar so...

Somehow, though, I won the challenge!