Monday, October 3, 2011

Goodbye dear friend

I never knew that so many emotions could be wrapped up in an inanimate object.  This week-end, we had to say good-bye to one of my dear friends, my Volvo station wagon.  We weren't best friends at first sight.  This friendship was gradual and steady.  I had moments of frustration, yes, but ultimately, she was so good to me.  I felt like I could do anything in that car.  She was spacious, gave many rides to others, took meals to friends in need, and got us out of the house when we were getting stir crazy!  But alas, too many problems arose and she had reached a ripe old age.  It was time for her to be replaced.

You might think it silly but I had some of my hopes and dreams wrapped up in this little car.  We paid it off so quickly so there was no car payment, meaning my hopes of getting out of debt were easier.  It was also a 7 seater, so I felt like we could fit plenty of people, including the children I wanted to fill it with.  Getting rid of that car, and buying something smaller brought more finality to me about us not being able to have more kids than anything else.  I have cried more tears over getting rid of this car than I care to admit.


So, I just wanted to give my Volvo one more last shout out and say a proper adieu dear friend.  I will miss you.  Yes, you can be replaced, but I guess I will miss what, for me, you represented.  But, I know that "Jesus, listening, can hear the songs I cannot sing." 

1 comment:

Kirsten and Eric said...

Goodbye ol' girl! You'll be dearly missed!

Dang, now you'll get a generic car that everyone else has and I won't be able to spot you around town as easily! :)