Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Help!

Okay, all you expert moms.  I am desperate for some advice!  My son has been potty trained for over a year now.  He has always had problems wetting a little bit occasionally during the day because he doesn't want to stop playing.  He stays dry through the night almost every night, so I know he can control it. He also stays dry on road trips.  

Recently, he has had so many accidents, I can't even count them all, and he keeps fighting going to the bathroom.  I have tried taking toys each time there is an accident and he had to earn them back by staying dry.  That didn't work.  I have tried rewarding him with one treat at the end of the day if he stays dry all day.  That didn't work.  I have tried time outs.  That didn't work.  I have tried positive reinforcement when he stays dry.  That didn't work.  I have had him tested for an infection.  It came back negative.  He isn't constipated, so I know that's not what it is.  He is just being stubborn, I think.

I. Don't. Know. What. To. Do!  It has become a major source of contention between the two of us.  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!  You will be a life saver!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I wish I had suggestions, but I don't. My sister is having a horrible time training her 4 yr old son and I know how hard is on her. My heart goes out to you. Just remember that this isn't a reflection on you as a mother. You are doing great!!

mer and mel said...

We've been doing charts for the boys for good behavior and so far so good. They have 100 squares divided into 20 (5 sets and chances to earn a toy or fun thing to do). So maybe you can do something similar- like if he stays dry all day he gets a sticker, or something similar that you feel will make him stay dry. If he can see that he's being a big boy and making you happy, maybe he'll be more apt to actually do it. The boys got to pick the prize/toys and they are taped next to their chart. Oh, and if he does wet, just remind him that he needs to stay dry in order to get the fun prize. Sometimes, boys regress and need something to make it fun again. Good luck hon!

Jamie Dana said...

I am going to think about this one. Katelyn still has the occasional accident because she doesn't want to stop playing either and she is older than Jackson so, it happens. Would Jackson be motivated to use the potty if you put him back in diapers until he is ready to wear big boy underwear again? That could really backfire if he thinks diapers are a convenient way of not having to use the toilet. I don't know. So sorry Jess. Sounds WAY stressful!!!